Back to Travel Back to Trinity Site Home Back to Home

 After an enjoyable three days, wandering around in Albuquerque, it was time to leave. My next stop was the Grand Canyon. The trip, from the surprisingly large and cosmopolitan city of Albuquerque, through the stark countryside, arriving at the natural splendor of Grand Canyon would be a study in contrasts. This would be my last stay in a large urban area, for a week.

One of many rainbow bridges, which span the streets of Albuquerque.

Out on Route 66, heading away from town. I have a long drive ahead of me, over some pretty stark terrain. Still, the van is comfortable, I have my music, a cooler full of Gatorade, and Soda, and a 35 gallon gas tank, which will take me about 700 miles.

Back on the open road, with the city of Albuquerque, and it's mountain background in my rear view mirror

Much more of the road lays ahead. This is Interstate 40, which is paralleled by old Route 66.

Above and Left:
The road takes me on, further west. My destination is The Grand Canyon, a place that I have seen only once before.

The light is fading, and the sun will soon set. It is a beautiful  sky; but it tells me that I will not reach my campground until after dark.

Arriving, very late, at The Grand Canyon, finds everything closed. Actually, it is only about 10:30; but the park, like most national parks, is on country time. Here, people rise not long after dawn, and retire not long after dusk. It is a pleasant rhythm, and one with which the body easily falls in tune. The Park is technically closed; but with camping and lodging within it's boundaries, closure simply means that facilities and services shut down.

The camper service station at Mather Campground is closed, like everything else in the park at this time.

I had a reservation, and saw my name on the list, directing me to a campsite. I was tired, and hungry, so my name on that list was a welcome invitation to park, sleep, and have a late meal.

My home, for 19 days. The wooden structure, is my desk, upon which I housed my laptop when I worked. As I hate laptop keyboards and mouse pads, I used an external keyboard and mouse. This is where I wrote, viewed and edited my photos, and browsed the net, where wireless was available. The large cooler is on wheels, and could be pulled alongside the reclining seat by my desk, while I worked. In addition to the battery in the laptop, I could make use of the vehicle battery, through a power converter. With the seat back, my cooler pulled alongside with a drink and a snack on top, and my external keyboard in my lap, I could work as comfortably, as if I were at home.

My bedroom. A battery operated florescent allowed me to read myself to sleep, a travel alarm made certain that I awoke on time. The plastic bins under the seat, were my "dresser", which kept my clothes clean, folded, and out of the way.

The Restaurant and lodge in the village. This was actually where we stayed, on my first trip out here. This time, traveling alone, I decided to camp.

The village general store, and the huge parking lot of the village. One of the very nice things, about the way in which the park is organized, is that the visitor can park the car, and never need move it for the entire stay. A series of natural gas powered buses make regular shuttle runs through the park.

Another view of the lodge. The village is about a quarter mile from Mather Campground. For the lazy, or easily lost, there is a regular shuttle run to the camp ground.

Taking the shuttle out to Hermit's Rest.

One of the many shuttle stops scattered throughout the park.

Back to Sandia
Forward to Grand Canyon